[thelist] embarrassingly stupid XHTML questions

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Mon Sep 17 16:04:37 CDT 2001

 >>...  "Strict", which, for example, would mean that the following
 >>  two tags wouldn't work (of course, there are more):
 >>
 >>  <center> <div align="center">
 >
 >that's an interesting idea, morbus
 >but those tags do work   ;o(

Sorry. Those tags won't validate under XHTML Strict. Whether they work or
not is another matter entirely, but the document won't be considered valid
Strict XHTML.

 >but i'm curious -- what did you have in mind when you said
 >"and oh so much more"?

Welp, ultimately, I was saving my butt. I don't know every single
difference between Transitional and Strict, but I know that *one*
difference was the pure and exact separation of design and content. The "oh
so much more" was to make sure that no one would say "but hey! that's not
all! Strict also does..." <g>...

 >i dunno either, although i have heard that
 >
 >      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
 >
 >can cause problems and for the time being is optional

I've been dealing with encoding an awful lot with my AmphetaDesk program
(disobey.com/amphetadesk/). If an XML document does NOT have an encoding,
it is *supposed* to be read in as UTF-8. Correct me if I'm wrong however,
as the whole encoding issue drives me bonkers.

--
Morbus Iff ( i am your scary godmother )
http://www.disobey.com/ && http://www.gamegrene.com/