[thelist] IE 5 Mac scrollbar bug?

// kerin | airside.co.uk kerin at airside.co.uk
Wed Sep 19 06:56:15 CDT 2001

hi everybody,

I've run into what seems like a fairly obvious bug in IE5 for the
Mac. has anybody had any experience with this, or know any
workarounds?

I've got a frameset with two frames, the top one with a menu, and a
bottom one with the content, which is all held in absolutely
positioned layers. The menu frame is set to not scroll, and the main
area is set to scroll auto (this is so that users on lower res.
screens dont get the content cut off at the bottom).

On OSX, IE5.1b renders a thick white stripe where the scrollbar would
be if it was needed. If I refresh the page, half of the layers in the
content frame disappear. If I keep hitting refresh the results are
slightly different, but always involve some layers missing.

On OS9, IE5 adds the scrollbar in when its not needed. if I hit
refresh, it does one of three things:

renders a single un-needed vertical scrollbar
renders un-needed vertical and horizontal scrollbars
renders it correctly (no scrollbars)

And this is with me just repeatedly hitting refresh, without changing a thing.

If I resize the window on OS9, random parts of the page get
reproduced in chunks where the scrollbar would be.

This page works just fine on Netscape 4 and 6 on both Mac and PC, and
on IE 5 and 6 on PC. I'm trying to upload it just now so that it can
be seen in action, but our net connection is up and down like a YoYo
today.

So, can anybody shed any light on this? Its quite worrying - if this
frames and scrollbar bug cant be solved, then the design for a major
project is going to have to be rethought, pretty much at the last
minute.

Thanks in advance,

Kerin