[thelist] Firewalls vs. Web Databases

Glenn Hunt ghunt at hds.ca
Thu Sep 20 13:19:44 CDT 2001

An interesting solution, but there are dangers in this setup. Assuming
that the DB is normally behind the firewall, you have just completely
bypassed your firewall. You leave a hole open. You would be better to
have everything firewalled. That way you only open the incoming ports
necessary (usually just 80, possible 443), and everything else is
blocked. It means that a hacker has to compromise two machines to get
anywhere - first the firewall, and then an inside machine.

Having two database machines (one inside and one outside the firewall)
seems needlessly complex. If you are worried about web access
disappearing because the firewall goes down, then the logical thing is
to minimize the chance of the firewall "going down". There are three
options, probably in order of preference:

1. Load balancing hardware - Certainly the best solution, but also the
most expensive. Would be used to divide traffic between two firewalls.

2. Use a hardware-based firewall. By not using a traditional "OS-based"
firewall, the chances of failure are greatly reduced.

3. Use two firewalls and round-robin DNS. The biggest issue with this
that the DNS would have to be updated if a firewall went down.

If none of the above are possibilities, then at least use a *NIX-based
firewall (personally I use FreeBSD) - they are very stable and virtually
hack-proof.

The best for security is definitely everything behind the firewall, or
at least the firewall being the only connection between the 'net and
your private network.

Glenn Hunt
ghunt at hds.ca