[thelist] ASP, HTTP_REFERRER, Session questions

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Fri Sep 21 00:39:30 CDT 2001

First off you shouldn't have to worry about spiders. How can they get to
your subscriber content if they can't login. (Plus the way I recommend to
grab that data is not affect by referers.) Second, I'm not sure what you
mean by "QueryString and all" since you mention they will be getting to the
login page by clicking a link on the page. Also how big will your
querystring be?

There are a few ways to tackle this:

One is to generate a login page when someone attempts to access "member
only" content via a function call. This allows you to deal with the login
"from within the called page" and gives you IMHO more flexibility than the
redirect (option two) since you don't have to pass session variables or
querystrings around.

Two is to redirect to a login script, but if you want to "get back" you
need to pass enough informaiton to the login script to help it redirect
back to the "calling" page. You can stuff this information into a Session
Object for later retrieval using the Request.ServerVariables("SCRIPT_NAME")
and Request.ServerVariables("QUERY_STRING") [which is my preferred method
if I can't do option one] or by stuffing this information into a
QueryString and handing it off to the login script.

Three is stuff all the information into a form and post to the login
script. This is a little cleaner from a URL perspective but still not as
clean as option one, IMHO.

HTH
---
Anthony Baratta