[thelist] Naming Conventions

Andrew Chadwick andrew.chadwick at prnewswire.co.uk
Fri Sep 21 09:10:53 CDT 2001

On Fri, Sep 21, 2001 at 09:41:02AM -0400, Villano, Paul wrote:
> I'm stumbling my way around xhtml for the first time with a bunch of
> inherited files using frames, many of which use caps
> (JPGFrame1.html), etc.  I'm from the old school of "keep it all
> lower case and under 9 spaces"...Is the lower case naming convention
> for .htm files still an issue?

It depends on which operating system your web server runs, not which
dialect of HTML you're using. In XHTML,

Only the "a", "/a", "href" are case-sensitive.

> (Please tell me I don't have to go through several thousand files
> just to change their case.)  Most if not all of my users will be on
> Windows machines.

If you're serving the docs over the web, the user's browser will send
back the URL to the server in whichever case you said in your href
attributes. What happens next is up to the server. As a rule of thumb,
Unix-based OSes are case-sensitive; the Mac OS, and all flavours of
DOS and NT-based OSes are case-insensitive.

If you're packaging the files for deploying directly on the user's
hard disk, then the user's OS matters (and if it's DOS or NT-based,
case doesn't :)

--
Andrew Chadwick, UNIX/Internet Programmer, PR Newswire Europe, Oxford