[thelist] testing/learning SQL and ASP environment

Rob Oviatt n6appweb at nb.aibn.com
Tue Sep 25 08:14:56 CDT 2001

I've got to learn SQL and ASP for work, and am wondering what is the best
way to set myself up to do so.  I've got our web server (NT4, IIS 4 w/sp6,
MS SQL 7.0), and a Win98 system on my desk at work, and a Win 98 system at
home.  I'd like to be able to work on this from both home and work, but
don't want to risk (through my inexperience) damaging or breaking the SQL
interactions already occurring on our server.  Which were created and
maintained by an outside service.

Questions:

1. Is there a package or group of programs I can install at home on my
Win98 system to learn/develop/test SQL databases and ASP pages without
having to access our web server?

2. Anyone have some beginner links for running/working with an SQL server.
I have not previous experience with web database interaction and have a
basic understanding with Javascript.

3. Recommendations on Beginner book?

There are probably more things I should be asking, but don't know to ask yet.

Rob Oviatt

Web Developer / Typesetter
Appleby Color Lab
phone: (506) 459-2320