[thelist] css woes - ie 6 ?

Simon Coggins ppxsjc1 at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Sep 25 08:54:07 CDT 2001

> Using the navigation examples from
> http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~ppxsjc1/lab/nottnavi.html which someone posted
> to the list months ago, With some modifications, I created this:
>
> http://developer.metropolis.com/jmclark/scott/temp3.html

Ah, that would be me. I'm still working on perfecting this one, then I'll
write an evolt article on what I've learned. In the mean time you should
know that there are still some issues with the borders on Macs that need
sorting too, so check on a Mac before you publish anything.

> Except, I notice in ie6 that when you mouseover any of the menu choices on
> the left (except for the first one) the main part of the page decides to
> dance... which then proceeds to cover up the text.  This is a major css
> experiment... I used some floating div examples from ala and other
> sources... The way I have the page coded... is this *supposed* to happen?

Yes I had this problem back when I first coded this and now I can't for
the life of me remember what I did to fix it. As far as I remember it
seemed to be due to the links losing their padding in the hover state. I
think that might be due to buggy support of the display: block; statement.

I'll see if I can work out exactly what I did, but for now have you tried
using a different DOCTYPE? IE6 does render differently depending on the
DOCTYPE and if it works in IE5 it should be okay in IE6 in backward
compatibility mode.

Sorry I can't be more helpful,

Simon