[thelist] anchor tag not allowed within span

James Aylard webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Tue Sep 25 17:37:43 CDT 2001

iris,

> the homesite syntax checker tells me that the anchor
> tag is not allowed within the span tag.  why is that?

    Homesite is wrong. Placing an anchor element within a span is perfectly
fine. Both are considered inline elements, and each may contain any other
inline element (except an anchor may not contain another anchor).

> and how do i solve, for example, the following
> problem:  i've got a paragraph with part of a sentence
> in german, so i want to put <span lang="de"> around
> the german bit, which also includes a link.  any
> ideas?

    That will work fine (although the lang attribute isn't used effectively
by most browsers, afaik). If there happens to be another element that would
provide more-precise markup than the span element, I would suggest using
that element instead. But what you have is fine.

James Aylard