[thelist] anchor tag not allowed within span

James Aylard jaylard at encompass.net
Tue Sep 25 22:02:06 CDT 2001

aardvark,

> i do believe the W3C validator will fail a floating <a> if it's not in a
> block-level element...

	This is essentially correct: the <body> element may only contain (as
immediate children) one or more block elements and/or script elements; it
may, additionally, contain one or more <ins> or <del> elements (which can be
either block or inline elements). So, by extension, the <a> element may not
exist independently within the <body> element, but must be contained within
one of these other elements. [1]

> doesn't mean homesite is right, or wrong, but just curious...

	In my experience, the Homesite 4.x validator is often wrong (it doesn't
seem to contain complete logic for HTML 4.x), and I recommend against
relying on it. As you know, probably the most reliable validator is from the
W3C itself. [2]

James Aylard

1. http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#edef-BODY
2. http://validator.w3.org/