[thelist] ASP - actions taken before redirect? (again)

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Thu Sep 27 18:32:20 CDT 2001

On Sep 28, darren had something to say about Re[2]: [thelist] ASP - actions...

>On 28 September 2001 at 00:08:12, spinhead <evolt at spinhead.com> wrote:
>
>s> Happening in one page, how? Here's what's going on - manager comes to this
>s> page to approve a request, enters there authentication info, and submits the
>s> form. If the auth info is wrong, they're redirected to approval page 2 (the
>s> 'try again' page)
>
>how about....
>
>comes along to page which displays the request.  manager enters their
>details and hits submit which submits the form back to the same page,
>which checks to see if the submit button has been pressed and validates
>the details.  if the details are good you can send them off to whereever,
>else you display the try again message with the old comment.  so you
>would have something like...
>
>   <%
>   if len(Request.Form("btnSubmit")) > 0 then

<shiver />

what happens if I submitted your form by hitting 'enter'? you're relying
on the client to go ahead and submit the button as if it were clicked. i
honesetly don't know if most clients do that, but i dont care because i
don't do it that way  =)

hint: when a form is submitted and that form's method is "post",
Request.ServerVariables("REQUEST_METHOD") will be "POST".

>hopefully that's something approximating clear, my brain is beginning to
>really dislike me!! ;>

lord do i know that feeling! have you started to see the pink elves in
your coffee yet? if not, wait a week or two...

anyways, there's actually a pretty good article on evolt about this very
subject. =)

http://evolt.org/article/webforms/17/10199/index.html

... and if you have any specific questions regarding the article, go ahead
and leave a comment so others can benefit from the answers.

oh, and rate it too.

as opposed to:

oh, and rate it *two*.

;-)