[thelist] going solo?

Gerenday, Perry (P.) pgerenda at visteon.com
Fri Sep 28 14:39:36 CDT 2001

On 27 Sep 2001, at 14:41, Gene Herrera wrote:

 > Independent contractors don't receive salaries.
 >
 > Generally, it takes $2 in gross income as a self-employed person
 > to equal $1 in salary.  Self-employed people have to pay *twice*
 > as much for social security, while salaried people get health and
 > life insurance, sick pay, vacations, workman compensation, etc.

It's been about 5 years since I was self employed and working from my home
so my memory is a little foggy but here are some of the expenses I recall.

Advertising
Business phone listing
Hardware / Software upgrades
Hi bandwidth internet connection
Business license
Trade show displays
Social Security
Other retirement savings
Health insurance
Dental insurance
Life insurance
Accidental injury insurance (customers coming to your premises)
Miscellaneous supplies

Seems to me that the ratio was more like 4 dollars gross income for every 1
dollar I wanted to keep for myself.

Perry Gerenday, Visual Communications Artist
www.virtually-artistic.com