[thelist] Mac/IE layer positioning issue

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 29 05:37:53 CDT 2001

>Never mind - figured it out. IE on the Mac was the only browser that was
>counting pixels from the point where the function was called (i.e. inside
>the table) instead of from 0,0 of the window. I did not know this would
>happen, but to fix it, I moved the function call to the first line of the
>body and it then worked just fine.

??? Could you please explain more? There is a well-known IE5Mac bug that
causes absolutely positioned elements placed in a table to be misplaced. I
think (but have not tested) that their position is counted from the 0 0
coordinate of the table, not of the document, as should happen with
position: absolute

When I read your first mail I was pretty certain this was your problem
(solution: take element out of table). But now it seems you've discovered
something else, and maybe more interesting. Do you have a URL of the page we
can look at?

ppk