[thelist] WYSIWYG x-browser design - is it a reality?

Mon Oct 1 10:26:12 CDT 2001

on 1/10/01 16:54, Glenn Hunt at ghunt at hds.ca wrote:

>> The marketing folks won't just be tweaking a bit of text here
>> and there - they're planning on building a databased online
>> ordering system and reconfiguring the entire site to work
>> with it.

In my opinion this wouldn't be wise. It would without a doubt change your
function from webdesigner to teacher and problem solver, and the problems
would be countless. These marketing guys, or whatever they were, can
probably find out how to handle the application if they have enough time,
but that doesn't make them webdesigners. They won't understand the
consequences of what they're doing, and how to do it right. They know
nothing about the users needs with all their different expectations,
browsers, platforms and (dis)abilities.

I agree with sean, who said:
"Why don't you just suggest a completely back-ended Database solution and
guarantee that they don't screw up the HTML?"

What is it exactly that they need to maintain? Text? Images? Structure? Etc.

Much luck,

Marius