[thelist] html load time

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 1 10:26:38 CDT 2001

> From: "Jeana Clark" <jmclark at multiservice.com>
>
> My boss (who's a marketing dude and all about automating as much work
> as we can) is wondering if there's a server-side program (running on
> apache or NSCA) that can automatically optimize graphics to a certain
> 'size' compression etc that we can set and sort of set it as a cron
> job. Basically.. something like macros in photoshop... but done *on*
> the server. (We aren't networked to our in-house servers.. have to ftp
> everything).
>
> Is there any such thing possible?

er, yeah, but i'll leave the specifics to the Apache guys, since i
can't speak to the tools on that platform as well as nearly everyone
else....

but do keep in mind the fact that the human eye can be an
important factor in optimization -- perhaps the most important... by
targetting a file size regardless of image, you could make the
image look pretty bad (in any number of ways), and even have the
occasional image that is actually under-compressed...