Associate schemes (was Re: [thelist] Re: [thechat] ASP vs. ASP.Net - Anyone made the move?)

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Tue Oct 2 10:07:50 CDT 2001

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

I do it in 4 ways:

1) Have a reading list in my areas of knowledge - mine's at
    http://www.easyweb.co.uk/articles/library.html

2) Have a personal reading list - more for fun. It's at
     http://www.easyweb.co.uk/articles/now_reading.html

3) If anyone asks for a book recommendation (happens a lot),
     I'll either direct them onto my reading list, or send them an
     Amazon URL with my ID.

4) Give out the ID version of my wishlist

In all the above scenarios, I've done the work, so I feel perfectly
justified in getting something in return for it. It's not as if the book
buyer pays any extra - the money comes from Amazon's cut.
Also, I totally ignore all of Amazon's 'suggested' titles to put
on my list - if I recommend it, it's because it's good (AFAIK).

I also tend to let people know that I get commission on all the
books, but it doesn't seem to bother anyone. Unless the person
has other issues with Amazon (usually over patents), they're pretty
happy knowing that they've got the service of Amazon backing up
my recommendation.

Cheers
Martin

Please respond to thelist at lists.evolt.org