[thelist] IE 5.5 upgrade...

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Fri Oct 5 12:12:53 CDT 2001

hi matt

>1) Is there any reason why I shouldn't go ahead and upgrade?

not really, unless how stuff looks in 5.0 is important

i held on to ie4.01 as long as i could (it was an extremely
widespread browser), until the day i installed my cd burner
software, and it forced 5.0 on me-- i'm still pissed about that,
but at least i now have, for the first time ever, backups!

>2) How does IE 5.5 page rendering differ from IE 5.0, or where can I
>find this info?

depends on how deeply you want to get into it

we've got ie5.5 on the kids' computer (where the cable is at)
and i can't say i notice any difference in how pages display...

there may be better css adherence...

>3) Can I run IE 5.5 and IE 5.0 (maybe even 4.0) on the same Win 2000
>machine?

virtual machines?  sorry, i wouldn't know, but i don't think
you should bother, unless you're developing really intricate
stuff like dhtml or heavy-duty style sheets

rudy