[thelist] IE 5.5 upgrade...

Danny Goodman dannyg at dannyg.com
Fri Oct 5 14:44:11 CDT 2001

>> 3) Can I run IE 5.5 and IE 5.0 (maybe even 4.0) on the same
>> Win 2000 machine?
>
> I don't believe you can. Because of browser integration (which I so
> loooove ...), you can't keep an older version of IE on your machine.

The only IE/Windows duopoly I'm aware of is when you upgrade from 4.x to
5.x: If you follow the correct Yellow Brick Road through the custom install
process, you can install an IE4 compatibility mode, which appears in the
Start menu as a separate app.

Since I _do_ have to test for backward compatibility frequently and got
tired of hanging onto machine after machine just to run each IE/Win version,
I now do my early compatibility tests (back to IE3/Win95) in Connectix'
Virtual PC on my Mac, where I can run numerous concurrent virtual Windows
machines with a variety of configurations (they also have a new PC version
but I haven't tried it). It's also a great way to try out pre-release
Windows browsers and not worry about system/file/Registry corruptions.

It's not ultra-fast, but the convenience more than outweighs the hassle and
ergonomic danger of reaching for three or four Wintel machines. I'm now down
to one networked Wintel laptop, which I use for testing the predominant
Windows/browser version combo for speed and hardware dependencies.

Danny
http://www.dannyg.com