[thelist] ASP/VBS attributes difficulty

Ben Henick persist1 at io.com
Fri Oct 5 20:30:49 CDT 2001

I've been working on a Microsoft Site Server Commerce Edition-based
e-commerce site.

A problem for Netscape 4 users has been brought to my attention:

If you go to

http://www.4security.org/store/shopper_lookup.asp

in Netscape 4 and follow the 'click _here_' link (please don't ask), you
will discover that somewhere along the line, an unspecified error occurs,
resulting in a redirect to

http://www.4security.org/store/(Empty Reference!)

by way of a file at the same level named

xt_orderform_additem.asp

instead of

http://www.4security.org/shopper_new.asp

It's pretty simple; it works in IE and Netscape 6; it throws an error in
Netscape 4.

Having looked at the source for all of the abovementioned files (including
the HTML of '(Empty Reference!)') I cannot imagine what would be causing
this problem.

The closest I have to a hypothesis is that Netscape 4 is somehow choking
on the escaped characters on the QUERY_STRING, but of course I cannot test
it because among other things the hosting ISP has played Musical Chairs
with the containing folder of the e-commerce area and the closest analogue
I can find (the one from which I've been reading source) does not appear
to be holding the live files.

Any help would be immensely appreciated, as I am looking at losing two
weeks' worth of income if not my job.  [I have all sorts of wonderful
things to say about my employer.  *grin*]

Please send replies offlist, as I am on digest.

TIA
--
Ben Henick
Web Author At-Large              Managing Editor
persist1 at io.com                  bmh at digital-web.com
--
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?"
"I think so, Brain, but... (snort) no, no, it's too stupid."