[thelist] MySQL on Debian.

Andrew Chadwick andrew.chadwick at prnewswire.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 04:59:02 CDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 08:49:26AM +0100, George Palframan wrote:
> I am trying to get MySQL to work on a Linux box running Debian. I
> know little about either technologies so if anybody could offer some
> help in what i need to do to get it running I would very much
> appreiciate it.

What stage are you at in the installation? If you have the
mysql-server package installed, read the installation notes. On my
system:

  $ less /usr/share/doc/mysql-server/README.Debian
  $ man -k mysql
  $ man mysql

I find that it's better to use the mysql-server package from the
unstable distribution right now. It seems to me that it's slightly
more reliable than the ones in stable or testing, and certainly it's a
lot newer.

After it's installed OK, it should start running. You'll need to set a
root password though, but the installation notes describe how to do
that.

Hope this is of some help.

--
Andrew Chadwick, UNIX/Internet Programmer, PR Newswire Europe, Oxford