[thelist] Apache only serving pages when it feels like it

Jon Haworth jhaworth at witanjardine.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 10:32:13 CDT 2001

Hi list,

We've got a Linux box here (2.4.5 kernel) running Apache 1.3.20, MySQL
3.23.39 and PHP 4.0.6. When I try and browse to it, Apache serves up the
pages correctly around 60% of the time - the other times it just spits out
the HTML for the page as if it's wrapped in <pre>...</pre> tags.

The strange thing about it when it does this is that it starts the page
halfway through the <head>, and when it gets to the end, it then sends out
"HTTP/1.0 200 OK", then the headers, followed by the HTML for the page all
over again.

It seems like, on the 40% of the time it's going wrong, that it's not
sending out the HTTP status codes at the start of the page, just dumping the
HTML to the browser (PHP is doing its processing bit, as the HTML is
correct, just not getting rendered by the browser).

It's a bit vague, I know, and it's sadly a private Intranet so I can't even
post a URL, but if anyone's got any ideas as to where I should look to try
and fix it I'd be very grateful....

Cheers
Jon

'The information included in this Email is of a confidential nature and is
intended only for the addressee. If you are not the intended addressee,
any disclosure, copying or distribution by you is prohibited and may be
unlawful. Disclosure to any party other than the addressee, whether
inadvertent or otherwise is not intended to waive privilege or confidentiality'