[thelist] Fed Up!

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Mon Oct 8 12:53:57 CDT 2001

At 09:22 PM 10/8/2001, Martin wrote:
>I wouldn't quite go as far as to say 'always' uncheck the box.
>
>However, you should think very carefully about the site and how much
>you trust the company. Large, well known brands are less likely to
>spam, because

You're right. I wouldn't either (but I did, so forgive me).

Let me correct that. *I* always uncheck the box because:

a) I don't know if the site send email on behalf of its advertisers or
whether it actually rents out its database to 'em
b) Exactly what qualifies as "special, relevant, content from our partners"
is usually pretty vague. I've had well-known sites send me crap on
contests, price discounts, and sometimes absolutely unrelated stuff.
c) I get way too much email anyway, so I probably won't even look at
advertising :)

So Martin's right. Check the box if you trust the site. But there aren't
too many trustworthy sites out there, IMHO. :(

BTW, I know a lot of people who claim to be getting spam from Amazon. One
of my old email address also used to get their special notifications, and
when I tried to fix that, their sign in page told me that the email address
didn't exist in their database :(

Cheers,

Madhu

Madhu Menon