[thelist] solaris and windows dual boot possible?

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Tue Oct 9 15:44:24 CDT 2001

>hi, sorry if this is a silly question but i was
>considering downloading solaris beta release and was
>wondering if some experts here can tell me if i can
>have a dual boot with these 2 OSes? actually i already
>have caldera linux and windows 2000. so i am talking
>of a triple boot system.
>any expert advice/experiences are appreciated!

If you're interested in plain ole solaris 8 (not the 9 beta) then
dual / triple booting is easy. After installation, Solaris causes the
MBR to point to the partition that solaris was installed on. This
partition is split up into a whole load of 'slices' (/usr, /export,
swap, etc), which is a bit different from linux. Anyhow: a boot
manager is also loaded into a slice there, and you're presented with
a lovely blue menu where you can choose which partition to load at
boot time. Neat.

The main thing is that you install Solaris LAST -- which shouldn't be
a problem in the case you describe above.

At a guess I'd say 9 would be very similar -- except, as Dan pointed
out, you'll need another system to install 9 from. It's a net install
only, not cdrom.

HTH
Andrew

--