[thelist] IE6 & Apple's QuickTime ActiveX for video on x-platform CD-Roms

George Dillon evolt at georgedillon.com
Thu Oct 11 10:01:48 CDT 2001

IE6 doesn't support Netscape plugins, and so distribution of video on
cross-platform CD-Roms is now made that much harder, QuickTime being most
widely accessible video format.

Apple offer an activeX solution, so while I have till now avoided AX for
security reasons, I'm forced to consider how to make it available to IE6
users.

Is it possible/ethical/legal to distribute someone else's ActiveX
control - specifically can I put the QuickTime activeX installer on
a CD?

Apple advises using this code for embedding QuickTime on web pages:

<OBJECT CLASSID="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" WIDTH="320"
HEIGHT="256" CODEBASE="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab">

To enable installation from a CD is it as simple as putting qtplugin.cab
on the CD and pointing the CODEBASE at it?

TIA

George Dillon