[thelist] xssi serving up separate css

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Fri Oct 12 11:04:18 CDT 2001

 >what about you Morbus - what are your standards?

Welp, in new sites (new sites is key - disobey.com is full of sites
initially created in 1997, so they're old and not so good <g>):

   - XHTML 1 Transitional (rationale: easily parsable by
     XML processors/custom code, so thus, easily convertable
     to new designs, databases, etc.)
   - CSS 1, with ignorable CSS2. Removing the style sheet
     should make the site look relatively the same.
   - Validation under the W3 pages for both XHTML and CSS
     (I've got bookmarklets that I can simply click and have
     the current page validated through the browser).
     http://tantek.com/favelets/
   - Sites are tested on:
       Mozilla .9x, Netscape 4 (mac/pc)
       IE 4, 5(.1), 6 (mac/pc)
       Opera (pc) and iCab (mac)
       Lynx proxy: http://www.delorie.com/web/lynxview.html
       When I'm really anal, I have a laptop with IE 3 and NS 3.
   - Site previewed with 640x480, 800x600, and my current 1000x.
   - Exact design conformance. "Degrading" is a bad term to use
     here. I'll spend three days trying to figure out how to remove
     five pixels of space from a Netscape form tag. Or how to
     make heading text look exactly the same everywhere. Ultimately,
     I want a site to look *exactly* the same in every browser I
     test against. If it doesn't, my design isn't generic enough.
   - I try to get Bobby approved, but it's super anal.
     http://www.cast.org/bobby/
   - I compare site to the WAI/WCAG: http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG/
   - I use no client side scripting. I've never learnt it. No desire to.
   - I make sure my URLs are friendly. I don't have an
     article on this, but it ensures that 404s never happen,
     URLs are easily modifiable, indexes in every parent directory,
     and so on and so forth. all URLs are always search engine
     friendly as well.
   - And other minor things I'm sure I'm missing (hey, it's
     a quick mental list whilst I'm at work - gimme a break).

Most of this is just from the coding aspect. I haven't even
touched some of the crap I make sure of on the design itself.

--
Morbus Iff ( softcore vulcan porn rulezzzzz )
http://www.disobey.com/ && http://www.gamegrene.com/