[thelist] Cooper on navigation

mantruc javier at msm.cl
Fri Oct 12 12:56:00 CDT 2001

Here's my interpretation of the article:

Copper states in the acticle that navigating through webpages is like
passing from one room to the other, and that using applications
shouldn't feel like this. I immediately visualized applications as being
tools (or machines) installed within those rooms.

So content is divided in different rooms and hallways, while "machines"
are used in a same room. Performing tasks in those machines should not
feel as navigation.

I agree

Tip for chiming in so late...

<tip type="user experience" author="mantruc">
Want a good metaphor for explainig the User Expereince and it's
relevance?

If programmers are in charge of teh deign of applications, user's will
probably be confused. Why?

Because they see things radically different:

Programmers see a "Cake" as:
- Flour
- Eggs
- Sugar
- Vanilla
- Milk

User's see a "Cake" as:
- Flavor
- Aroma
- Texture
- Humidity

...that is the user's experience of a cake.

Source: Cooper, Alan: "The Inmates are Runnning the Asylum", SAMS, 1999

</tip>

--
Javier Velasco M.      -               nurun Chile
Information Architect  -       http://www.nurun.cl