[thelist] Thanks/Tips/PHP Mailers

Burhan Khalid burhankh at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 13 14:05:04 CDT 2001

Hey Evolters :

  Thanks for your tips regarding the "pixelated" look. Now I've got to go
and get me a copy of Photoshop. I thought I'd answer some questions that
other people had about PHP emailer in this post as well.

  As far as PHP email programs go, one of the best ones I've seen is
netmania. The only problem with netmania is that it requires some shell
access for initial setup (as a Perl script that needs to run), and it
creates its own user in mySQL (which is not a problem to change). As of yet,
I have been unsucessful at getting it running on any online hosts, but I do
have one local copy working beautifully at my local intranet. One the best
things about netmania is the interface, ability to add multiple accounts,
and the fact that its free doesn't hurt. Also, it has a great addressbook
feature. Find more information about netmania
(http://www.netmania.org/en/news/news.html).

  A more low key PHP emailer is Popper. You can try out a modified version
at (members.evolt.org/burhankhalid/Popper). I am currently running it
through the mill to beat out any bugs. It has an outlook like interface
(don't know about cross-browser compatibility), and so far has been very
civil. One unique feature about Popper is that you can set it up to check
your email at an interval (say every 15 minutes). Popper requires mySQL
(like most email programs), and it creates its own user accounts (to which
you can add other email accounts to check). The site admin can limit which
email servers you can check (the configuration file has an array of
domains), but it limits to only one outgoing email server. It also has an
address book feature and can display emails inline (as in the three-pane
outlook style). Supports language files, themes, etc. If you are going to
use my version, you will need to setup your Yahoo! Mail account for POP
access.

  As a general resource, hotscripts.com is a good place to start searching
for PHP Emailers.

<tip Author="Burhan Khalid">

An easy and efficient way to do for loops (especially in scripting
languages), is to use the following syntax :

(condition) ? (true action) : (false action)

Comes in handy if you want to do a quick and drity menu collapse.
Example :
mnuitem1.style.display = mnuitem1.style.display=='none' ? '' : 'none'

</tip>

Regards,
Burhan Khalid
members.evolt.org/burhankhalid