[thelist] Creating a global site navigation system...

Oliver Reid ReidO at cbs.curtin.edu.au
Tue Oct 16 04:30:37 CDT 2001

G'Day All,

I've been working on an idea for some time now & I'd like some input.
I'm trying to create a global site navigation system using javascript.

The code I've created so far will get the window.location.href, strip off the excess text & use the datum left to generate the back & next links.
It works (barely) if the file's name is an integer value.
   eg: 1.shtml

What I'd like to achieve is to create the navigation interface using an array with all the pages in the site listed (& all the folders) - with the page names as any (string or a number) value.

On each page would be:
1    Forward & back links for moving through the array in a linear pathway.
2    Global links to individual folder's index page.
3    Sectional links to each page within the current folder.
4    A history of all the pages visited.
5    Have the history encoded into a cookie.
6    Have the array dynamically generated - server-side(?) & written to a file.

Any suggestions on the best way to go about this?

Thanks,
             Oliver Reid
             Web/Multimedia Developer
             Research and Development Facility