[thelist] GoLive proprietary tags and MSIE5

Freda Lockert freda.lockert at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 16 12:25:24 CDT 2001

It's not a problem, it's a lack of knowledge of the software. Your friend
should export the site before he uploads it. Set the choices for export
to strip out spaces and proprietary tags. Those tags provide local script
functionality for testing on his hard drive, but aren't necessary in the
uploaded site. Click in the site window (or whatever the appropriate
Windoze command is) and choose export. GoLive will create a separate
complete site without its proprietary tags, it only takes a few seconds.
I've seen many sites on the web uploaded without being exported first,
and people wrongly blaming the software for poor code.

I don't think the export function exists in GoLive 4, v.5 is a far better
product. If he exports the site he'll get nicely formatted code that
doesn't take much work to validate. Of course, he'll have to add the DTD
manually. If he's using XHTML then he'll have to search and replace the
closing tags.

Freda