[thelist] GoLive proprietary tags and MSIE5

John Dowdell jdowdell at macromedia.com
Tue Oct 16 13:45:04 CDT 2001

At 12:41 AM 10/16/1, Mike Stevens wrote:
> A friend of mine emailed me with a problem he's having with some
> rollovers in IE 5 on PC. He did the site in GoLive (bummer) on a
> Mac and the code has all these <CSACTION> and <CSOBJECT> tags.
> It seems that they're maybe GoLive proprietary tags that wont work
> in IE for the PC.

Although the markup may be difficult to read or fix, I do know that regular
graphic rollovers from GoLive 4 and 5 do work in IE5/Win. The current
hypothesis is untenable.

Here's how to find what's different there:

1)  Try a very simple test file to confirm the overall functionality:
    a)  If the simple test works, look for content differences.
    b)  If the simple test fails, look for configuration differences.

2)  See how that browser does on other GoLive-authored sites:
    a)  If known-to-be-good sites fail, you can look for a browser problem.
    b)  If other sites work, you can look for a content or process difference.

3)  See how other browsers do on that particular page. (I'd prefer to not
look at that content, thanks.)

4)  See if other rollovers work normally, and if it's only the one that
fails. This again can point to content or process differences rather than
configuration differences.

(These are the one-or-all-files test, the one-or-all-sites test, the
one-or-all-browser and one-or-all-machine tests, the one-or-all-rollovers
test... it's easiest to identify the actual cause if you change one part of
the problem at a time.)

In all of this, it's good to test in a range of browsers during
development... this can help when a client says "it don't work in browserX"
and you can say "hmm, I did test that page in browserX, so let's find out
what's different there..."

jd