[thelist] SQL 'Buckets' - Was: way OT -- keyboard woes

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Tue Oct 16 22:42:51 CDT 2001

>Just use a decent screw driver and remove the back. Clean out all
>the crumbs and use alcohol and a cottonball to clean the contacts.
>Put it back together and see if the keys work. 15 Minute job.

Or, which can be quite fun if you're using a laptop, turn that puppy
upside down and slap the living heck outta the thing. It helps, while
slapping, to relive all those embarrassing typos it made on your
behalf - kinda like an exorcism, but the crud which comes out sticks
to your desk.

Re:

At 11:23 PM -0400 16/10/01, rudy wrote:
>and perhaps you'll then want to program the buckets yourself, but
>you must resist the temptation, because it is far far less upwardly
>compatible that way...  mysql plans to support union some day...

Could you explain 'buckets' please? Are they the fourth column in the
two subqueries you give as an example?

And while I'm asking silly questions: can you recommend a simple way
to give each row in a select a row number? I can retrieve by row
number with mysql, but it'd be really handy if I could generate an
actual column with a ranking -- but I'm buggered if I can see how. My
mind must be going down the same road as your keyboard.

Thanks
Andrew

--
Andrew Forsberg