[thelist] CF: List Manipulations

Raymond Camden jedimaster at macromedia.com
Thu Oct 18 07:20:25 CDT 2001

> : 2) I've been trying to figure out how to get my app to identify what
> : delimits a list. Imagine I have a list of emails, delimited by
> : commas. From a machine point of view '@', '.' or ',' might be the
> : delimiters. Now if one of the emails happens to be missing with '@'
> : or the '.', once can see how quickly a problem could arise.

(This comment is for the original poster)
No. You just said, "delimited by commas." Why would you then say, @ or .
may also be delimiters? CF supports multiple delimiters, but if you only
want commas to be delimiters, then thats fine. Just treat the list
normally (cf uses a comma as the default delimiter).

> If you are truly trying to get the application to figure out
> which delimters are used when you have no idea of what they
> could be, CF may be the wrong language.

(This is for Joshua)
Why? This sounds like a basic logic issue. I have a string, what are the
delimiters? To be honest, I've never run across a case where I didn't
know at design time what my delimiters are... but let's say that the
first line in a file signifies the delimiter(s). Ok, no problem. Just
use that when doing your listfuncs in CF.

Raymond Camden, Principal Spectra Compliance Engineer for Macromedia

Email    : jedimaster at macromedia.com
Yahoo IM : morpheus