[thelist] Lasso 5

Angie Ahl angie at vertebrate.co.uk
Thu Oct 18 07:35:42 CDT 2001

Hi people

This isn't a plug, it's just to inform you other poor overworked
database developers that Lasso 5 went to beta yesterday. The beta's
probably going to last just over a month (don't hold me to that, you
know beta's). But anyway I was fortunate enough to be on the alpha
for the last few months. I have fallen for this thing head over heels.

It's got it's own built in MySQL database, and a host of other
exteremely useful (in my opinion) features:

This is not meant to start a cfm vs php vs Lasso discussion Alright.
If it turns into one I ain't listening :-)

It's a paid beta (you get a free upgrade at the end and it was pretty
much fully functional at the end of the alpha last night) so may not
be of interest to you yet. I just thought I'd let you all know

For those who are interested here's a bit more info:

http://www.blueworld.com/Lasso5/

And no I still don't work for them. I'm just a tired relieved
developer who can now get on with taking over the world :-)

Angie

PS: Hi Sean. If you want some help, privately, porting to lasso 5 I
can help :-)

Have a look at this list of features :

Server-Side Sessions.
Built-In, High Performance Lasso MySQL Database.
Create tables and databases on the fly.
Compiled LassoApps for ease of distribution, code safety, and speed.
Enhanced, object oriented language with complex data types.
LassoScript for more compact, easier to read syntax.
Expressions and symbols for ease of data manipulation.
Flexible, group based security system.
Database and Table level security.
Tag security and more File Tags security options.
Ability to turn off Classic Lasso for maximum security.
Custom tags make it easy to create new tags and data types.
Email sending with full reporting of success/errors.

New tags offer the following features:
Data Encryption.
TCP/IP tags for communication with remote servers.
Regular Expressions finds and replaces.
Bit manipulations.
Array and map manipulations.
Advanced Error controls, handle/protect/fail controls.