[thelist] URGENT! Mac Javascript Problem.

James Aylard webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Thu Oct 18 10:08:29 CDT 2001

R.Livsey,

> Ive been reported a problem with the code below.
> Works fine on IE5 Windows, but doesnt work on the Mac (probably not on
> Netscape etc either) but as Im not at the office I cant check on any other
> computer and only have IE windows here.
>     if (document.news_form.action[1].checked)
>         news_form.submit();

    I can't give you an authoritative answer, but based on the snippets
above here are a couple of semi-educated guesses:

1) Using the name "action" for a form field might be a bad idea since
"action" is also a property of the form object. MacIE might think that you
are referring to the property, and not the form field.

2) When you call the submit() method, try prepending "document" to the
object name, so that it is document.news_form.submit(). MacIE may be having
a problem with this shorthand reference to the object.

    These are only guesses, but hopefully they'll help.

James Aylard

P.S. - When you post a message to the list, be sure to start with a blank
email rather than replying to an existing post and changing its subject line
(such as replying to "The future of XML" and changing the subject line to
"URGENT! Mac Javascript Problem."). Some email apps will sort your post into
the same bin as the others in that thread, regardless of the subject line,
so that many evolters who sort and filter their incoming mail -- deleting
subjects in which they have no interest -- may never see your post.