[thelist] Navigator 100% table

Adam Slesinger bread_man at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 18 15:42:49 CDT 2001

Hi Rudy, thanks for your help.

>that could be your problem right there   ;o)
>you're running up against the "logic" of widths
>what is the 100% supposed to be a hundred percent of?
>the row?  the cell?  the remaining space in the cell?
>and if you really mean 180 + 100% then the row would be wider than the
>table, right?

Yes, I guess I had adopted the technique of getting a cell to take up the
remaining space by giving it the 100% width attribute.  Although, it doesn't
make sense, it had seemed to always work for me.  And NN seems to be exactly
using the logic your saying since it is extending the table to what appears
to be 180 pixels to the right!

>bad news -- in win95 ie5 at 800x600 there's a horizontal scrollbar,
>although it looks like the page is only a few pixels too wide

wierd.  IE6 at 800x600 showed no scrollbars - and I designed it to fit in
770... I'll have to find a Win95 machine to refine that.  Thanks for the
catch!

>if you've read aardvark's liquid design article, you may also want to
>follow the link he included to my liquid tables article
>(http://evolt.org/article/LiquidTables/20/2321/evolt.org) and review those
>techniques

I will surely read those two articles.

>one thing i'd try is not to specify a width of any kind on your second
>cell -- if it has sufficient content to wrap, the browser may just decide
>to honour your request to make the first cell only 180

i did try taking out the 100% width attribute for the cell containing the
nested table.  didn't work in NN 4.x.  I will try to remove all the
width=100% from the td's within that nested table and get back to you.

>by the way, in netscape 4, the white text in those boxes suddenly turns
>black half way down the page, so you may want to double-check your code --
>i *think* it's because you have <hr>'s embedded inside <p>'s, and the
>browser is implicitly closing the first <p> and not applying a style to the
>implicitly opened <p> after the <hr> (except it's not doing this
>consistently either, so i'd just describe it as buggy)

I noticed this and figured the exact same thing.  The failure of the css to
apply in each case is buggy.  I tried to figure out what it was for a while,
but I will instead try to recode it so the <hr>'s don't interrupt the <p>'s

Thanks rudy (and everyone else) for your in detail response to help me.

adam