[thelist] Sub Contract Work

Michael Pemberton mpember at phreaker.net
Fri Oct 19 08:06:43 CDT 2001

I had an email from the lower ranked of the two staff members and he had agreed
to compensate me for my time.  Then his boss emailed me and cracked the sh*ts
because I hadn't mentioned anything about the tasks taking more work than
expected.

I signed a contract that gave the following situations:
    - one off "mock" design consisting of two pages: $xx flat rate, plus $xx
bonus if sold.
    - larger project, more work @ hourly rate.

They came to me at the beginning of this project offering more than the
contract flat rate because the client wanted a custom setup.  I figured that
was ok.  Then, when I explained the fact that the solution would work but would
look bad, they changed their approach.  They expected that this would be
included in the original price.

I am in the process of getting a more specific contract that outlines what my
conditions are when they give me a project that is more than a mock up and
still expect it to come at the flat rate.

I figure that if they are a middle man that has promised something without
telling me, then it is their problem when the solution comes in over budget.

The cloud did have a silver lining.  They rang me back today and have offered
me on ongoing fee for updating the site and I will be using that to compensate
for the lack of initial income.