[thelist] Navigator 100% table

Sam-I-Am sam at sam-i-am.com
Fri Oct 19 09:09:05 CDT 2001

I've not had much to say on this thread, it's well trodden ground by
now.
But as it's a couple of days old and no-one else has said it:

you need a shim row

that is, an extra table row above or below your content that makes
explicit to the browser exactly how you want the column widths
apportioned, using fixed width elements (e.g spacer images, or tables,
or pre) where columns are supposed to be fixed width. It's a neat way of
encapsulating your table/col width assignments without getting all
tangled up with your content.

The issues you are having with %age widths are also what prompted me to
try and use the width="5000" trick:
http://sam-i-am.com/testsuite/tables/flexible_width.html
(actually credit is due here to Lars Stalling for originally coming up
with the idea)

But you may not even need to go that far. Try a shim row.

Sam