[thelist] Blurry Web Page

noah noah at tookish.net
Fri Oct 19 13:48:23 CDT 2001

At 02:29 PM 19/10/2001, Kristy Frey wrote:
>font-size: 0.8 em
>Is there a better way...  I'd like the font size in cells to be slightly
>smaller than the font
>size selected by the user in the browser .8em should do it...

Apparently there are some problems with the consistency of ems across
platforms and with older browsers that can lead to fonts being too small to
be legible (see http://www.alistapart.com/stories/fear4/5.html).

Another problem with ems that I've run into a few times is that a
significant number of people seem to have IE/Win's "View -> Text Size" set
to "Smaller," including people who I'm pretty sure never manually changed
it (because I'm pretty sure they don't know how to change it - they
certainly don't know how to change it to "Medium"), so I wonder if for some
reason it's the default text size on some installations.

In any case, I've been told that if "Text Size" is set to "Smaller," 0.7em
verdana anyway is virtually illegible, so that could be causing 0.8 to
appear blurry.

Of course, I have no idea if this is the problem your user is having, just
something I've come across that could be contributing,

Regards,
Noah