[thelist] Operating Systems

xgalaxy xgalaxy at home.com
Sat Oct 20 11:58:39 CDT 2001

I'm currently using XP Pro. The thing you have to realize is XP is based
off of NT 5.1 whereas 2K is on NT 5.0 so XP is just as stable if not
more so. There are plenty of networking tools in the PRO version,
however I do not know what the HOME version has on it as far as
Administration tools and so forth.

XP seems to handle all of the currently running services better as well,
with a lot less of them loading in an Administration User than does in
Win2K, however there is no apparent lack of administration options as a
result of this.

XP needs a lot of memory just to run. In fact it will want around 80 to
100 megs of RAM to be happy. However, even though XP uses a lot more ram
then any previous MS OS its memory management is outstanding IMO and
programs run very well.

I have yet to get XP to crash however it does have its problems. On
first load up the user will be locked out of doing anything except run a
program from the start menu. There are way too many options and any
casual user will be overwhelmed very quickly. By default installation
the OS sets up a shared folder accessible to anyone and the hoops one
has to jump through to turn this off, while easy for hardcore users,
will be fairly hard for casual users to understand what exactly they
need to do. XP also installs MS Instant Messenger as well. And the
option to remove it from the computer is hidden in the Add/Remove
Programs, one has to edit a somewhat confusing configuration file just
to make it display in Add/Remove Programs -- I can see this getting
Microsoft into some trouble.

I use XP PRO on a laptop. The new ClearType font technology deployed in
the PRO version makes it incredibly easy for LCD and various other
laptop screens to read and us the OS without getting a major headache
for long usage.

Overall I like the OS. It has everything in Win2K and a whole lot more.
While casual users will probably be very turned off to the new OS, I'm
not a casual user, so I don't care.