[thelist] Error Previewing XHTML in IE5-Mac

Paul Peterson paul at thereformist.com
Mon Oct 22 15:05:27 CDT 2001

Hi all,

I am marking up a page in XHTML which IE5-Mac won't let me preview locally.
The page checks out when I upload it to the W3C Validator and I can preview
it fine in IE4.5 and Netscape 6.1. If I upload it to my Web server, IE lets
me view it remotely no problem, but it's a pain having to do that just for a
preview. Does anybody know why this is happening, and how I can fix it?
Details are below.

This is the error I get when I try to open the page locally in IE:
An error occurred parsing the XML file.

file:///Truman/My%20Stuff/Miscellaneous/The%20Reformist/index.html"

Line: 29

Char: 11*

Error: System errorError processing resource 'file:///Truman/My
Stuff/Miscellaneous/The Reformist/xhtml-lat1.ent'.**
*There's no character 11 on line 29 of my document that I can see. The only
thing on that line is a <tr> tag.
**I have NO idea what the "xhtml-lat1.ent" file is supposed to be. It's
certainly nowhere to be found on my Mac (I'm using OS 9.2.1).

Below is my document declaration. When I replace all this with "<html>" for
previewing it works fine:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

Thanks in advance,
Paul