[thelist] your opinion solicited on coding specs I requested from contractor

Bill Lovett blovett1 at rcn.com
Mon Oct 22 17:17:54 CDT 2001

On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 04:56:50PM -0400, Ornstein, Ian wrote:

> function doessometingtosomedata( abc,qwerty, asdf) {
>
> well the { belongs on the next line.
> I feel that having matching braces aligned vertically adds readability.

I feel the reverse, quite strongly. The only place a brace "belongs"
is wherever you've put your other braces *for that language* OR
wherever you and your programming posse have collectively agreed to
put them.

> George Symoni created  a naming convention used
> by Microsoft developers wherein the variables are prefixed with
> an abbreviation that indicates a datatype.  Most developer resist it
> but quickly see the benefit in improved readability.

Are you suggesting this still in the context of Javascripting? I tried
using that approach for a while and abandonned it after a while
because I never found myself dealing with that many distinct data
types at a time. I like that convention for ASP where you might have a
flock of obj variables, a gaggle of ints, a pride of strs. But if you
were doing something in a DHTML kind of way, won't you mainly be
dealing with objects?

What do other people do?

-bill