[thelist] off topic: Dell monitor power saving options

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Tue Oct 23 01:42:42 CDT 2001

At 01:37 AM 10/23/2001, you wrote:
>To turn it off:
>
>Goto Start > Control Panel > Power Options
>
>Then where it says "Turn off Monitor in 20 minutes" set that to never.

I'm not sure this will solve the problem. E. Partee mentions that his
monitor goes into power-saving mode right at the login prompt. No system
(OK, almost no system) takes 20 minutes to boot up, so something else is
up. Also, pressing a key *should* bring the monitor out of power saving mode.

Perhaps he should start in Safe Mode (press F8 at boot time), and see if
there's a graphic driver conflict. Or if the monitor refresh rate is set
too high.

But I agree with Ted's advice. Turn off all power saving features first.

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant