[thelist] fluid valign="middle"...

john corry john at neoncowboy.com
Thu Oct 25 03:43:31 CDT 2001

A colleague asked:
"Is there a way to vertically center an image (in this case a flash
animation) within a viewers browser window? This is the only thing on
the page."

I told him:
Make a table with 1 row and 3 columns. Put the flash movie in the center
column and a spacer .gif with a height of about 600px in one of the other
columns. Align the table "center" and valign="middle" the cell with the
flash movie.

But that doesn't really put the movie in the middle of the browser window at
any screen res or window size. I love all the tips I hear about fluid design
but can't guess how to approach it (in a reliable, cross browser way) any
better than the solution I proposed.

How would you do it?

thanks,
John Corry