[thelist] MSN locks out non IE browsers

Brian King BKing at Impact-Technologies.com
Fri Oct 26 09:05:46 CDT 2001

I agree 100%.  Don't let all of the MS haters out there deter you from being
right.  Simply put, a programmers life IS easier the less constraints you
put around the code he/she is writing.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Hall
Subject: Re: [thelist] MSN locks out non IE browsers

Everyone stop and think a moment. I dont like a lot of things MS does, but
the anti-ms kneejerk reactions are annoying.
Microsoft has done everyone of us a favor here. All you complainers should
send an email to the msn staff thanking them.

To illustrate why, I'll ask who are the people who still have msn.com as
their home page?

The answer is all of the grandmas who dont even know how to change their
home page and we can assume never have upgraded their browsers since they
first got their Win95 machine. These people are the reason why we cannot
always assume IE4+ and NS6+ which are the browsers all grandma's should be
using.

The ability to assume IE4+ and NS6+ for every web site is a great burden off
of our shoulders as I am sure everyone here knows. Microsoft probably has
gotten more people to upgrade in one day than the WASP people have in 6
months.

Now if Yahoo would only do the same thing...

jon

p.s. This is the same reason why .Net subscription schemes are a good thing
for us as developers. Microsoft might just be looking to get richer, but it
ends up saving developers time too.