[thelist] OT: Toronto Beervolt!

Tara Cleveland taracc at home.com
Fri Oct 26 13:02:19 CDT 2001

So, we've come up with the date of Tuesday, October 30th at 8:00pm for
the Toronto Beervolt. It'll be at the Bishop and the Belcher. I've put a
map online at http://members.home.com/taracc/map.html

And for the off topic post...

<tip type="technological lock-in of the market leading to monopolies"
author="Tara Cleveland">

Considering that there has been significant debate about Microsoft's
lock-out of certain browsers from msn.com, I thought I would give you
guys some links to economic theory about these moves. I know, I know,
economic theory sounds so dry and boring, but they are very well written
and if anyone has any interest in the business side of technology the
first article (especially) is essential.

"Increasing Returns and the New World of Business,"Harvard Business
Review, July-Aug 1996.by Brian Arthur
http://www.santafe.edu/arthur/Papers/Pdf_files/HBR.pdf

A response to calls for an anti-trust trial from Bill Gates published in
the Economist
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/1998/bill-economist.asp

</tip>