[thelist] MSN locks out non IE browsers

Brian King BKing at Impact-Technologies.com
Mon Oct 29 18:22:13 CST 2001

Legally, I believe you will find that a business is obligated to make their
product available to anyone who tenders legal currency, (of course there are
exceptions, such as controlled substances and sale of items outside the
boundaries of the country and so on).  Therefore I don't believe that MS
could refuse a customer a subscription because of the browser that they use.
They can state that their product is only guaranteed  to work under certain
circumstances.  I think that a tire dealer would find himself in a legal pot
of hot water if he refused to sell me a 16" tire only because the car I
owned takes 15" tires.  But it would certainly make me look foolish if I
insisted that I be able to waste my money something that I couldn't use.
Once the vendor makes the circumstances known under which the product is
guaranteed to work in, CAVEAT EMPTOR!

-----Original Message-----
From: thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org [mailto:thelist-admin at lists.evolt.org]On
Behalf Of spinhead
Sent: Monday, October 29, 2001 3:27 PM
To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject: Re: [thelist] MSN locks out non IE browsers

"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone"

Isn't it up to the vendor to decide who's business they want? I'm not saying
I agree with ANYTHING Microsoft does, but if the discussion is 'what gives
them the right to dictate which browser is used to view their site' then it
comes back to the question, 'do I (as a vendor) have the right to decide who
I do business with, or am I obligated to sell to anyone with a buck?

spinhead