[thelist] Index.dat file in I.E.

Teck Low TeckLLow at rainbowhouseinc.com
Wed Oct 31 08:22:54 CST 2001

Sharon:

Before the Operating System executes win.com, the OS is in DOS mode, users
can manually delete any files.

Windows Explorer will not display the *.dat even when view show all hidden
files are turned on.

To delete any *.dat in the IE, depending on Win OS, theses files are located
differently. Find these files by running in DOS mode using DIR /ah or dir /?
to find the option.
xx\cookies\*.dat
xx\temporary internet files\content.ie5\*.dat (in IE 5.x. IE 4.x have
different path)

Put the 2 statements in the autoexec.bat preferred before @echo off. xx is
the path where your IE 5.x is installed.
del xx\cookies\*.dat
del xx\tempor~1\content.ie5\*.dat

Every time your reboot your PC it will delete these files You may get a file
not found message if you starts the PC without starting Windows. Just ignore
that statement because these files weren't created by IE yet.

Teck