[thelist] [::.Link.::] How Linux saved Amazon millions

Bruce Heerssen bruce at heerssen.com
Wed Oct 31 08:24:35 CST 2001

> How Linux saved Amazon millions
>
> Online retailer Amazon.com saved millions of dollars from its technology
> costs last quarter by switching to the Linux operating system, a disclosure
> that could provide some guidance for other companies seeking to cut
> expenses in a stagnant economy.

On a related note, here in the U.S. (well Texas anyway) IBM is now
advertising servers preloaded with Linux -- on prime time no less. The spin
is saving money on software while retaining reliability and performance. I
see this as good news for the open source community.

-Bruce

<tip>
Frames are bad. If you use frames, be sure to provide some navigation on each
content page so that when users arrive at your site from a search engine they
will have a way to navigate your site. The thing is, search engines will
index all of your pages, but will not link to the framed site (generally) but
to the supporting pages, leaving visitors hanging on a page with no
navigation. This makes *you* look bad.
</tip>