[thelist] NS 6 - comments anyone?

Paul Backhouse paul.backhouse at 2cs.com
Thu Nov 1 08:23:36 CST 2001

Sharon,
	 not really sure, first you have to download the add on for Java - which is
a pain in itself that is doesn't come as a default installation.
The trouble i have with NS6.x is that when for example you have a ticker on
the page it seems to take alot longer than any other browser to load it in!

It strangem because on a Mac NS absolutely kicks browser butt, a couple of
years ago this also used to be the case for NS on a Pc, but it not anymore.

Yes, its better at handling css (is it really that noticeable though), yes
the Dom...blah blah, basically functionally speaking NS is quicker and
slicker than most, but in this real world we really don't use the full
potential for NS because we know we have to keep in mind IE as this is the
world's most used browser, its one of those traps in life that we're
probably never going to get out of.

I used to be a dedicated NS 3 user, nothing could touch it, IE 3, i spit in
your general direction!
But then cam NS 4 and IE 4 - hmmm...i was sucker into the false world of
microsoft and before I knew it it was too late, i had already gone in too
deep!

<tip type="DHTML">
If using scrollable layers, I have found NS 4.x to be especially picky about
where the divs are placed in the page, as good coding practice place the
divs just above the end body tag, this seems to solver most browser
compatibility problems
</tip>