[thelist] What is a PG file?

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Thu Nov 1 13:44:05 CST 2001

At 2:20 PM -0500 11/1/01, you wrote:

>  Obviously the web space has been hacked, what might be done in the
>future to prevent such an occurrence again?

One of the first things you can do to provide some level of
protection is to not allow FTP. Use scp or tunnel ftp through ssh.
Secure FTP will work too.

I've had sites/servers hacked within seconds of an ftp upload - they
use packet sniffers to get the username/password pair and get in.

There are applications available for most platforms that offer ftp
functions without the security holes.

It's a little more cumbersome, but it's better than being hacked.

bob

--
bob davis
bobd at members.evolt.org