[thelist] RE:file management practices for design shops

List Member lists at nynjdesign.com
Sat Nov 3 20:15:53 CST 2001

Hi Bart,

At the Web dev company where I used to work the servers would have
directories set up for each project/client which contained subdirectories
for file types (i.e. psd, web, etc.)  Within each of those would be
subdirectories for each designer/developer by name.  As for naming
conventions of individual files, it was usually done by version/date--i.e. a
folder with a date like 01012001 then each file within it something like
home_1-1.gif, home_1-2.gif (home page comps), sublevel_1-1.gif,
sublevel_1-2.gif, etc.

That might seem kind of confusing but it really isn't--the file with the
highest version number is the latest for any given category.  What you end
up with is something that looks like:

-->projects
------>clientname_1
---------->logo
---------->site_redesign
---------------->psd
--------------------->designer_name1 (files--home_1-1.psd, home_1-2.psd,
etc.)
--------------------->designer_name2 (files--home_1-1.psd, home_1-2.psd,
etc.)
--------------------->designer_name3 (files--home_1-1.psd, home_1-2.psd,
etc.)
---------------->illustrator
---------------->docs (all docs from client re site redesign)
---------->packaging
------>clientname_2
------>clientname_3

It's a bit of a pain to set up and you may want to do expand or contract the
levels to suit your needs, but once it's done it can be a lifesaver.  We
also used to have an intranet where you could review (HTML versions of) the
client needs analysis, creative briefs, and specs as well as a "sketchbook"
that linked to the various gif/jpeg versions of the comps.  Hope I didn't
leave you more confused than when you first asked!

Bev